||German Pickelhaube - Clarence L. Bender
||This German pickelhaube officer’s helmet from Metz, France was brought back home with Clarence L. Bender of Hannibal Missouri. The pickelhaube helmet was originally designed in Prussia around 1842. All helmets of this style produced before 1914 were constructed from leather, but it was soon discovered that such material could not stand the destructive power of modern weapons, and was replaced in 1916 by the stahlhelm model made from steel. Some versions of the pickelhaube had detachable spikes, as the large polished brass protrusion made the Germans an easily identifiable target in the trenches. The pickelhaube was primarily used for ceremonial purposes after 1916 and remains one of the most recognizable of German artifacts from the war.
|Site Accession Number
||Missouri State Museum
||Transmission or reproduction of items on these pages beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the Missouri State Museum-Jefferson City, Missouri State Parks. 201 W Capitol Ave Rm. B-2, Jefferson City, MO 65101. (573) 751-2854
||The text and images contained in this collection are intended for research and educational use only. Duplication of any of these images for commercial use without express written consent is expressly prohibited.